Tuesday 21 December 2010

The early bird... goes window shopping.

It's so much prettier when all the pesky people go home.
Flickr image from Cristiano Betta's photostream

Alarm-clock issues resolved (alarm clock app makers take note: an app that flashes 'Please wake up', but doesn't make any noise, is useless) and bored of treadmill running, I rolled out of bed the other day at 5.45am for my first morning road run in a long time.

I live in Central London, and am a little extremely anxious about being murdered on my morning run. So, I figured a run up to Oxford Circus and back would be a safe route - main roads = more people to save me from the crazy hypothetical murderer.

It turned out to be one of the loveliest runs I've ever had. I'd been in Oxford Street the night before, picking up a few Christmas presents, and it was mayhem. But at 6am, it was just me, the road sweepers, and a few hardcore party-goers from the night before. It was the first time I'd really noticed the Christmas lights, and it was the perfect opportunity to do a bit of window shopping (I may have slowed down for a proper look).

A few other things I noticed on my new favourite route:
  • There is a lot of vomit around. Must learn to spot before almost landing in it.
  • People buy food from KFC at 6.20am
  • The Marble Arch KFC is open at 6.20am
  • The Selfridges Christmas windows aren't as good as they used to be - anyone remember the good old days of The Owl and the Pussycat windows?
  • There's a slight incline between Selfridges and Debenhams - who knew? 
  • Drunk people make great cheerleaders
So, Central London runners, if you're like me and you get bored quickly (please don't let me be the only one), you'll love an early morning run through the West End. Also, I'd like some other runners to roll my eyes at while I'm being shouted at by drunks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment