Tuesday 14 December 2010

The Christmas Dinner Challenge

Flickr image from didbygraham's photostream

In my family, we all take it in turns to host Christmas. This is mainly because none of us have a suitable Christmas house (you know, like Nigella's) - we're all equally poor, living in equally teeny flats in Central and West London, and none of us have the luxury of a dining room/garden/anywhere to put children and old people. So no-one ever wants to host the bloody thing (Baby Jesus would be proud). This year, we lost.

Over breakfast with my mum on the weekend, I was told (not asked) that I'd be cooking Christmas lunch. For 10 people and a Yorkshire Terrier.

So this is where I need your help. Please tell me what to feed them.

Now before I go on, there's something else I need to tell you about my family and Christmas - we've never had turkey for Christmas dinner. Is that awful? I think it may be a Filipino thing, they have no time for giant, dry birds.

Pretty much anything else goes though, and vegetablists aren't allowed in our family, so all meat-tastic ideas welcome. And anything that can be prepared the day before so I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn would be just fabulous. I will of course be combing my favourite food blogs over the next week, but if there are any you think I ought to know about, please share!

Alternatively, if you'd like to volunteer to come over and cook for 10 Filipinos and a Yorkshire Terrier on Christmas Day, you can have my first born.

3 comments:

  1. Ching ching, guess what, I hosted dinner this Sunday for 9 whole live peoples!!! I did roast lamb, courtesy of Jamie Oliver, and then I did the easiest peasiest tastiest veggies courtesy of Gordon. We only have a small oven so all veggies had to be done on the hob, and they were delish!!

    Roast lamb, honeyed carrots, parsley, broccoli, and devils on horseback. The veg took 15 minutes, I shit you not, and the meat took 90 minutes. If you want the recipes, just holla and I'll email them to you!! Also made a divine white chocolate and fruit dessert, too good!!!! The guests were happy and since it was my first roast I was delighted!! All can be prepped the day before, so you can be the hostess with the mostest!! I'll scan them in the morn for you if you like xxx

    PS, loving the blog honey, shall link it on FG xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! That would be just fabulous Jos, have you got links? You are a star, and clearly a domestic goddess.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let them eat cake...

    ReplyDelete