Monday 4 April 2011

Scales aren't our friends

 Flickr image from ILoveVerdi's photostream

Alright, I'm going to confess something. I get really confused when people talk about 'losing weight'.

How many times have we heard friends/mothers/sisters/celebrities saying "I just need to lose five more pounds..."? Why does that woman in the gym jump straight on the scales after a spin class and moan about not having lost any weight? I have to work really hard to stop myself from yelling "Ignore the damn scales!" across the changing room. Why does weight rule all?

I haven't weighed myself in over a year, but not because I'm super-comfortable with my body and I don't care about how I look - believe me, I do.  I just don't care about that number on the scales. Because who the hell cares? What does it matter? People looking at me are taking in my size, not my weight. I'm pretty sure that if I weighed myself now, I'd be looking at a figure not too far off the last one I saw on there. But I know my body's changed - my waist is smaller, my legs are firmer, my arms are more toned and my stomach is flatter (the ab challenge is by no means complete, but there's less squidge that there was). If I let weight be my only measurement of progress, I wouldn't be half as happy with how far I've come.

That doesn't mean I don't know when things are getting a little out of hand. The telltale signs: my jeans are a little tighter, the evil muffin-top shows signs of returning and my boyfriend is overjoyed that my boobs have returned. When those things happen, it's time to cut back on the pulled pork sandwiches and treats from the Desk of Filth and step up the running. No need to consult the evil numbers - I know what needs to be done.

The thing that really upsets me is seeing women who work really hard (and drop dress sizes in the process) left disappointed in their efforts because the scales aren't telling them what they want to see. Everyone tells them how fantastic they look, but they can't see past the needle on the scales.

So, ladies - and gents - I'm begging you. Please ignore the scales, they are not our friends. Listen to - and look at - your body, it'll tell you all you need to know.

2 comments: