Wednesday 20 April 2011

On to the next


Quick Operation Abs update: Two weeks in. No bread, no pasta, no rice, no chips, no Desk of Filth [edit - I wrote this post before I ate a packet of peanut M&Ms yesterday. I fell off the wagon, but I've been punished with a gigantic spot]. And it's surprisingly easy! I did have to extend PT's list after about 5 days to include prawns, avacado, beetroot and, um, lobster (I took Ma for a lobster birthday lunch, but kindly donated the accompanying fries to Al), but I've managed to stay away from all things flour and sugar with minimal pain/tears/tantrums. I see no abs as yet, but it's been said that I'm feeling noticeably less squishy in areas (said by Al, I hasten to add. Not a lot of other people comment on my squishiness). I just need to step up the exercise and I'll be there in no time.

But Operation Abs isn't what I'm here to tell you about today. I want to introduce you to my new fitness challenge. A marathon.

Now, before you get all 'WTF are you doing that for?!' in the comments box, let me clarify. I will be walking this marathon.

On 14 May, Team Freeney Sweenstone (that's myself, Charlotte and Gemma) will be taking part in the Moonwalk London - a 26.2 mile walk around London, starting at night and finishing (hopefully) in the early morning. Oh, and we're doing it in bras. Why? Because we want to raise money for, and awareness of Walk the Walk - grant making charity not only dedicated to raising money for vital breast cancer causes but is also passionate about encouraging women and men to become fitter and healthier and take control of their own wellbeing.

I'm going to be honest with you here - I've done no specific walking training for this yet. I'm not entirely sure how to slot 5/10/20 mile walks into my current life/work/fitness schedule. But fear not, I will come up with an answer, and when I do, I'll let you know. Also, if any of you have walked the Moonwalk or similar before, and have any training advice for us, I'd love to hear from you!

In the meantime, if you'd like to sponsor our little team as we walk a combined 78.6 miles in 7 hours or less, the magic of the internet allows you to do so here.

2 comments:

  1. Kaye, I did Walk the Walk about 7 years ago. That was in the days when I had an exercise alergy. But I thought I "It's only walking - I walk all the time - every day in fact". I was wrong. It was hard! My advice - don't underestimate it. 8 hours on your feet will be tough, with no sleep it's even worse. Do some training! It was good fun though and I volunteered as a marshall the following year because they were what kept me going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woop, woop - so excited you girlies are going to be there too - it's going to be a FAB night. Can't wait. A bravaganza!!! Congrats on all your running btw - 5 miles - Primrose hill sounds obscene. xx

    ReplyDelete