Saturday 1 January 2011

Janathon: Day 1

Happy New Year! I hope you all had a great night. I have a deep hatred of New Year's Eve, and as my boyfriend was working, I saw 2011 in with Mad Men and cheese on toast. Rock and roll.

I've never been able to stick to New Year's resolutions (if you've ever managed to keep one for a whole year, please let me know), but I figure I can stick to one for a month, so yesterday I signed up for Janathon.


If you've heard of Juneathon, you probably know what Janathon is about. If you haven't heard of either, let me explain. The aim of Janathon is to run every day, and blog every day. Simple, non? There are lots of fabulous prizes too, should you need an incentive (the best kind of carrot - next to cake).

Here are The Rules:
  • You must run or do some form of exercise every day
  • You must blog about it within 24 hours
  • You must join the Janathon group at the Running Free website and log your runs/exercise
  • You must visit other blogs and leave comments, giving your support
  • You must link to the Janathon website and display the 'Janathon Participant' logo

This morning, with no hangover (smug much?) I hit the streets for the first run of 2011. 5k at a relaxed long run pace, including a detour to the Royal Mail delivery office to pick up the parcel that wouldn't fit through my letterbox yesterday. Obviously, the delivery office was closed, so the identity of the parcel remains a mystery (*please* be my Nike+ sports band!). You know how much I love early morning runs, and today's has been the best so far for people-watching. Walks of shame in fancy dress, people asleep at bus stops, more drunk cheerleaders, and a lot of abandoned high heels. Excellent work, Londoners.

In other news, if you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen me mention a problem I was having with the arches of my feet after running. It's definitely getting worse, so I'm taking myself for a gait analysis this weekend to find the perfect shoes for my feet. In the meantime, it's shorter runs in my old trainers.

Best of luck to all the other Janathon runners - happy running!

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! And what a nice feeling to wake up without the pounding head! Definitely do the gait analysis as the wrong trainers will eventually impact your knees etc etc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on getting out there - Happy New Year.

    Just to second Hopeful Romantic, get that gait analysis. My better half was injured for 6 months when ignoring slight pains - turned out wrong trainers, but she also needed orthotics to sort the problem.

    Fingers crossed for that Nike+! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall have to try early morning running if that is the quality of the people watching you get. Late morning, all I got were families with young children, man-jogger with dog, woman-jogger who arrived before me and left after me (pah!) and a sweet old couple holding hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with abradypus - we late runners are missing out if you get to see all this! *More* drunk cheerleaders?! :D Oh and you have no idea how much I want some cheese on toast after reading this. Rock and roll or not, cheese on toast rules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one - I think I might have been tempted to have a little drinking game on my own... Drink two fingers for every time someone on Mad Men sleeps with someone else who is not their husband or wife?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on your first day.....only another 30 to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!

    @The Hopeful Romantic & Moving Along - I got myself a new pair of Asics today, with better cushioning and support for my newly-discovered flat feet!

    @abradyplus & steveandkatyrun - my route takes me up Oxford Street and Regent Street, plenty of fantastic drunk people watching opportunities, even more so if extended into Leicester Square!

    @Melissa - you're doing fantastically, a great inspiration! Go #teambangsontherun!

    ReplyDelete