Sunday 2 January 2011

New Shoes and Janathon: Day 2

After a day of icing and resting my right foot, I was annoyed to find that the pain hadn't gone away when I woke up this morning. So I took myself and my Nike Lunarglides to Sweat Shop in Fulham in an attempt to find out what was causing the pain and make them make it go away.

It took Morgan the sales assistant about 2.5 seconds diagnose me. I'm flat-footed and need shoes with more support than my Lunarglides offer. I have to admit, I was disappointed to find out I'm flat-footed, it doesn't sound very nice, does it? I bet Audrey Hepburn wasn't flat-footed.

I'm a little ashamed to say that this was the first time I'd been to a running shop. I've become a little addicted to the online bargains on workout gear, so when I started running properly, I just ordered myself a pair of trainers online. I thought I had a high arch, and didn't really know too much about what I should be looking for, so ended up with the Lunarglides. They had purple laces, I was happy.

After trying on about 6 pairs of trainers with extra support for my flat feet (harumph), it was easy to see where I went wrong with my Lunarglides. They have no arch support, and very little cushioning around the heel. And then, I slipped on the Asics:


I see why runners love them so much. This pair (Gel Kayano 16s) supported my arches, heels and ankles, and were light and comfy. A quick jog on the treadmill (I overpronate too apparently) and I knew that these were the ones. So, these flashy white and gold bad boys are mine.

Morgan advised me not to run until the pain was completely gone, which isn't great for the whole 'run every day' part of the Janathon ethos. So on the way home from Sweat Shop, I got off the bus at Hyde Park Corner and walked home through the park (Walkit.com tells me the walk was 2.97km). I'm icing my foot as I type, and I'm really hoping that it's ok for tomorrow. I had a 10.4km run on my training plan today, and I really want to do it tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

I'm really loving reading everyone's Janathon blogs, and have managed to encourage/bully Jungle GG and Girl On A Mission to sign up. They'll get me back with something equally evil, I'm sure.

PS: How are you all liking the fancy new blog header?

11 comments:

  1. I like the shoes! Asics do seem to be the runner's choice - perhaps I should consider trading in my old Adidas Some Football Tournament cheapy trainers for something similar. Don't know if I can bring myself to go into a running shop though - like you I'm a stickler for a good bargain online. Good luck with the injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! Citing! Did they cost £1million? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. GG - they very nearly did. I'll be eating cupboard dust till payday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really flat footed to, it's a nightmare when I do xc or trail running as you cant buy spikes with stability. My ankles are fit it break after todays XC!

    I love my stability road shoes - Nike struture Triax plus.

    Know you know you need stability trainers you can hunt down the right bargains online for your next pair :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a new pair of running shoes in the summer from Sweatshop and they have really made a difference to my running.

    Agree that the price can be a little hard to swallow but it really is worth it :)

    Good luck with the injury and getting back to your training

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh, noooooooooo shoooooooooooooz. Love them! Have never been to a running shop myself as have a fear they will laugh at me if i say i run! Were they nice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice trainers! I'm a Brooks Beast girl myself, went with Saucony last time out but it's back to Brooks for my next pair. Better support should really help the flat feet. If you hate that expression, try this: 'You know the princess who could feel a pea through thirty mattresses? Well, I've inherited her feet.' Sounds so much nicer, somehow ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, that's great Kay, I'll definitely use that! I tried on a great pair of Brooks - it was between those and the Asics, but the Asics won out because they came up a little higher around the ankle.

    @fortnightflo - they were lovely! I half expected to be shouted at for having bought the wrong trainers online, but they were so friendly and full of handy tips. I'll be going back when (if?) I wear these out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, welcome to the world of the over-pronaters! Isn't it lovely to find the right shoe - like putting on your favourite slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was me thinking (thanks to Nike, of course), that Lunarglides were all things to everyone! Good luck with the Asics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Positive thought - if you are flat footed you dont have to do National Service - least I'm sure this is correct! Good luck with new trainers.

    ReplyDelete