Friday 21 January 2011

Nike Training Club App & Janathon: Day 20

Sorry I didn't post this last night - by the time I got in and cranked out Day 19's blog it was way past my 'wake up at 5.45am tomorrow and go for a run' bed time.

So, Day 20's Janathon activity was spent in the company of a few of the fabulous Team Bangs on the Run (sponsor us!) ladies. You see, our fearless leader Bangs (who a few of us still call Bangs even though we know her Real Life name - I hope she doesn't mind, it's force of habit) had been invited to the launch of the new Nike Training Club app, and extended the invitation to us - she knows how to keep her team motivated!

We'd been advised to arrive in exercise gear as Bangs was told there'd be some 'jumping around'. This was a wee understatement. One minute we were playing with the very slick app on a very slick iPod Touch:

Jungle GG admiring the app

...the next, we were ushered into another room:


Those two people up there are super-fit, super-evil Nike Master Trainers. Unfortunately, I don't have photos of what happened for the next 45 minutes because I was too busy squatting, burpeeing, row-planking, sit-upping, lunging and ski-squatting to take pictures. I also embraced my inner diva and did all of that wearing my enormous cocktail ring, and even managed a costume change (I got too sweaty in my winter workout hoody and had to change into a summer-appropriate t-shirt). I'm pretty sure we all arrived expecting a light 1990s-style aerobics class workout - we were simply not prepared. I already had achey squat-bum from PT training, and the situation was not helped by the jump-squats inflicted by the Master Trainers. However, it was a fantastic workout, and I felt great, despite the agonizing burning sensation in my thighs and booty.

Our workout was a mixture of some of the 90 different drills found on the app, and none of them required any equipment. It was all body weight, and very thorough. The programmes are split into four categories - Get Lean, Get Toned, Get Strong and Get Focused, and you can choose from a range of 15, 30 and 45 minute workouts, illistrated with pictures of pretty girls with abs of steel. And the best part? It's FREE. Go forth and try it.

1 comment:

  1. Sweeney, can't believe you were at the NTC event, I was there in the day training up trainers with Sonja and Brian! Ridiculous!! If I knew you were gonna be there I woulda hung out to see ya!! Dammit!! Had I have been more present in twittersville you probably woulda guessed it!! I'm a Nike Trainer too as of the beginning of the year so working with the guys again this weekend! Have just sat down and skimmed your blog, so much writing awesome!!! Need to link you and Freest on FG. Give me a cyber kick up the ass if I haven't done it by the weekend!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete